Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are conducting most of our consultations virtually, either on-line or over the phone. That said, if any of our clients or potential clients wish to visit our office in person, we are happy to see them, provided social distancing protocols are observed.


Local: 314-282-8657
Toll Free: 800-748-2105

Defenders Of The Accused
Matthew Radefeld & Dan Juengel

What happens if you fail to register as a sex offender?

| Jul 28, 2019 | Sex Crimes |

When you receive a conviction for certain types of sex crimes in Missouri, you may have to register as a sex offender, and failing to do so can lead to considerable consequences. In addition to registering as a sex offender in the district where you reside, you may, too, need to do so in the district where you received your conviction, if they differ. If you do not register as a sex offender within the appropriate areas, and within a certain timeframe, you could potentially face a lengthy term of imprisonment.

Per the Office of Sex Offender Sentencing, Monitoring, Apprehending, Registering, and Tracking, the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act requires that, once you become a sex offender, you make your jurisdiction aware of your whereabouts at all times. You must also, under the terms of the act, notify the proper authorities within three days of changing your name, home address, job or student status.

So, what can happen if you fail to register as a sex offender or fail to abide by other sex offender registration requirements? If you end up facing a federal charge of failing to register as a sex offender and that charge ultimately leads to a conviction, you could be looking at up to 10 years behind bars. Even if your sex crime conviction was not at the federal level, though, you could still face serious penalties for failing to register as a sex offender, and you may, too, have to spend considerable time behind bars.

This information about what can happen to you if you fail to register as a sex offender is meant for educational purposes and is not a replacement for legal advice.